1. X is the manufacture of Mumbai purchased three chemicals A, B and C from U.P.The bill gave the following information:
Chemical A: 6000 kgs @ Rs. 4.20 per kg Rs 25,200
Chemical B: 10000 kgs @ Rs. 3.80 per kg 38,000
Chemical C: 4000 kgs @ Rs. 4.75 per kg 19,000
Railway Freight 1,000
Total Cost 85,255
A shortage of 100 kgs in chemical A, of 140 Kgs in chemical B and Of 50 kgs in chemical C was noticed due to breakages. At Mumbai, the manufacture paid octroi duty @ 0.20 kg. He also paid hamali, Rs 20 for the chemical a, Rs 58.12 for chemical B and Rs 35.75 for chemical C. Calculate the stock rate that you would suggest for pricing issue of chemicals assuming a provision of 4 % towards further deterioration and also show the quantity (kgs) of chemicals available for issue.
2. ABC Ltd has collected the following data for its two activities. It calculates activity cost rates based on cost driver capacity.
Activity Cost driver Capacity Cost
Power Kilowatt hours 50000 hrs Kilowatt Rs 200000
Quality Inspection Numbers of inspection 10000 inspection Rs 300000
The Company makes three products, A, B and C.For the year ended March 31, 2004, the following consumption of cost drivers was reported:
Product Kilowatt-hours Quality Inspection
A 20000 7000
B 40000 5000
C 30000 6000
Compute the costs allocated to each product from each activity
Calculate the cost of unused capacity for each activity.
3. Reliable company wishes to discontinue the sale of one of the products in vew of unprofitable operations. Following details are available with regard to turnover, cost and activity for the current year ending 31st March.
P Q R S
Sales Turnover Rs.600000 Rs.1000000 Rs.500000 Rs.900000
Cost of sales 350000 800000 370000 480000
Storage area (square meters) 40000 60000 70000 30000
Number of cartons sold 200000 300000 150000 350000
Number of bills raised 100000 120000 80000 100000
Overhead costs and basis of apportionatement are:
Basis of Apportionatement
Administration wages & salaries Rs.100000 Number of bill raised
Salesmen salaries a & expenses 120000 Sales turnover
Rent and insurance 60000 Storage area
Depreciation 20000 Number of cartons
Commission 3 % of sales
Packing material & wages Re 1 per carton
Stationery Re 0.50 per bill
You have to prepare
1. Staement showing summary of Selling & Distribution Costs to the products
2. Profit & Loss Statement showing contribution and profit or loss of each of the products to enable the Company take an appropriate decision on discontinuance of the sale of a product.
4. The Tata Infrastructure Co. is involved in two contracts Contract 69 & Contract 96 during the current year. The following information relates to these contracts, which were started on January 1 and July 1, respectively.
Contract Price Rs.300000 Rs.400000
Direct material issued 55000 40000
Material returned to store 1500 2500
Direct Labour 36000 22000
Wages accrued on Dec 31 2000 2500
Plant installed (at cost) 30000 40000
Establishment Charges 20000 15000
Direct Expenses 20000 30000
Direct expenses accrued, December 31 2000 3000
Work certified by architect 280000 140000
Cost not work not yet certified 10000 30000
Material on site, 31 December 11000 5500
Cash received from contractees 160000 50000
Depreciation of plant p.a 12 % 34%
Prepare Contract & Contractees Account for Contract 69 & Contract 96.
5. A company manufactures a product which involves two processes, namely, pressing and polishing. For the months of January, the following information is available:
Inputs of unit in process 1200 1000
Units completed 1000 750
Unit under process 200 250
Material Cost Rs.69000 Rs.17500
Conversion Cost 328500 82500
For incomplete unit in process, charge material costs at 100% and conversion costs at 60% in the pressing process and 50 % in the polishing process. Prepare a statement of cost and calculate the selling price per unit which will result in 25 % on the sale price.
6. M/s Modern Company Ltd furnishes the following summary of Trading & Profit and Loss account for the current year ending March 31.
To Raw Material 140000 By sales (12000 units) 510000
To direct wages 72000 By finished stock (200 units) 6000
To production overheads 45000 By work in Process
To selling & distribution overheads 43500 Material 26800
To administration overheads 41010 Wages 11786
To Preliminary Expenses w/off 3250 Production overheads 8000 46586
To Goodwill w/off 2541 By interest on securities (gross) 5000
To dividend (net) 4000
To income-tax 5870
To net profit 210415
The Company manufactures a standard unit. The scrutiny of cost records for the same period shows that-
1. Factory overheads have been allocated to production at 20 percent on prime cost
2. Administration overheads have been charged at Rs.3 per cent on units produced
3. Selling & distribution expenses have been charged at Rs.4 per unit on unit sold.
You are required to prepare a statement of cost, to work out profit as per cost accounts, and to reconcile the same with that shown in the financial accounts.