1. (a) Draw a systems view diagram of any service organization of your choice. Identify its various components. Explain its interdisciplinary nature.
(b) What are the major characteristics of a Production system? Discuss some of its upcoming issues that provide economies in production and efficiency in the performance of the system.
2. (a) Explain with examples, how the TQM concept can integrate design engineering, manufacturing and service.
(b) What are process capability studies? Explain the process capability index with applications to a real life example.
3. (a) Compare traditional process planning with Computer Aided Process Planning (CAPP). Also explain a generative CAPP system.
(b) Explain the objectives of Total Productive maintenance. Give its importance. Also comment on the concept of TPM promotion.
4. (a) Why is forecasting required in operations management ? Discuss the concept of forecast error as applied to different conditions.
(b) How are quantitative models of forecasting different from qualitative models ? Discuss in detail time-series model as used for forecasting.
5. (a) What is facility planning ? Explain with examples different types of layouts as used in manufacturing organisations.
(b) Discuss work measurement as a process to establish task time. Explain the various techniques for developing time standards.
6. (a) Explain just in time manufacturing with the help of examples. Discuss its advantages and disadvantages.
(b) For an independent demand inventory model, derive the equation for Economic Order Quantity. List all assumptions.
7. Write short notes on the following:
(b) Break even analysis
(c) Lean manufacturing
(d) Kanban system
(e) Line of Balance for Production Control
(f) Purpose of aggregate plans.